Utility Construction Planner
Black Hills Energy
We are looking for a driven, organized professional to join our team. You will design and provide project management for assigned capital and maintenance projects on electric/natural gas transmission and distribution systems. You will ensure that customers are provided with superior service in accordance with Black Hills Energy (BHE) standards, and customer service policies and procedures.
SALARY RANGE: $76,300 – $114,450 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager Utility Construction Planning
LOCATION: Albion, Nebraska
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Enter new service requests using company approved systems and processes as needed.
- Design electric/natural gas distribution and transmission systems and facilities per BHE standards and procedures.
- Plan, design, and coordinate customer requirements for electric/natural gas service installations and primary/main extensions for new commercial and residential customers per BHE’s extension policy.
- Assure that electric/natural gas construction complies with BHE and industry codes and standards.
- Prepare construction plans, survey and stake facilities for new line extensions and integrity (replacement) upgrades.
- Ensure necessary rights-of-way, easements, and other permits are obtained.
- Perform site visits to ensure work site is prepared and ready prior to start of construction.
- Ensure that all work on assigned projects are planned/scheduled so that construction can be accomplished in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Communicate BHE construction policies and procedures to customers and work with customers to best satisfy needs.
- Create, manage, and close out work orders using company approved systems and process. Ensure projects are accurately completed in Company mapping, asset, and accounting systems.
- Work with Operations Supervisor(s) and other departments to schedule construction of customer projects and internal integrity projects to ensure that customer needs are satisfied to the greatest degree possible.
- Coordinate and communicate with customer and contractors.
- Monitor actual vs. estimated cost on all work orders and explain/justify significant variances.
- Assist with planning for electric/natural gas crews work schedule to maintain efficient use of labor resources.
- Provide project leadership support of contractors, electric line/gas crews when managing assigned projects.
- Work in conjunction with Key Account/Growth Representatives to provide estimates for potential growth projects.
- Provide input for Capital/O&M budget creation and prioritization.
- Be a key point of contact for City, County, and State road/highway relocation projects.
- Review civil engineering plans to design and relocate BHE facilities to clear conflicts with City, County and State projects.
- Complete revenue estimates for construction allowances and feasibility study as needed.
- Manage and obtain reimbursements, refundable, and non-refundable construction deposits as appropriate.
- Ensure Utility Construction Specialist has the information to set up customers on correct billing and taxing rates.
- Manage and provide documentation for non-basic 3rd Party Damage claims.
- Understand and comply with federal, State and company regulations.
- Be proactive in safety and promote a culture of safety.
- Understand and be able to communicate marketing programs and policies to customers.
- Assist with state utility commission and other governmental audits as needed.
- Provide backup for local Operations Supervisor(s) as needed.
- Assist with storm/outage restoration as needed.
- Participate with Operations Supervisors for on-call rotation as needed or scheduled.
- Submit request for utility locates as needed where applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five (5) years of construction, project management or other relevant experience required.
- Experience with electric/natural gas system operations and construction preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical/natural gas standards for construction, methods, and materials.
- Knowledge of cost estimating and variance reporting.
- General knowledge of rates, marketing programs and customer service programs offered by BHE.
- Strong knowledge of computers and ability to use Microsoft Office products and trade related software.
- Strong construction management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to monitor multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, contractors and employees.
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct the work of a crew in a safe and efficient manner.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to: balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, push, pull and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously required to stand and walk. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level, and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height, or close quarters. Must be capable of occasional travel (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program (based on percentage of eligible earnings), 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
To apply for this job please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com.