Special Education Para Educator
Website Columbus Public Schools
as soon as possible
DEPARTMENT: SPECIAL EDUCATION – ELEMENTARY
JOB TITLE: SPECIAL EDUCATION PARA EDUCATOR
D.O.T. # Part-time 6.5 Hrs./Day
Sedentary Medium X
A. Education Level: Minimus high school diploma
Must have 2 years of post high school, or district will provide Project Para training
B. Experience Desired: Experience working with children in a supervisory capacity and/or experience in working with handicapped children.
C. Other Requirements: Keyboard and computer knowledge helpful.
REPORTS TO: Teacher/Building Principal/Director of Special Education
1. Assist the classroom teacher in preparation of classroom materials which may include:
– bulletin boards
– class projects
– duplication of materials, etc.
2. Assist the teacher in the physical management of students which may include:
– diaper changing/toilet assistance
– assist in placing students in adaptive equipment
(wheelchairs, standing tables/frames, braces)
– physical transition from place to place or activity to activity
– after instruction has been given, specific individual treatments of students with
special needs such as suctioning of trachea, tube feedings, dispensing of medications, monitoring functioning of hearing aids
3. Carry out instruction (under the direction of the teacher) individually or in groups relative to individual goals of children as defined on their IEP’s
4. Assist the teacher in observing and recording progress of individual children through developmental cycles as well as IEP goals.
5. Maintain daily/weekly/monthly records that may be designated by the teacher.
6. Assist in the day to day routines and rhythms of the classroom which may include:
– disciplinary measures as needed
– movement of children
– participation in and /or leading activities
– preparation of snacks
– assist in maintenance of general room condition and atmosphere
7. Participate in activities and opportunities which will enhance the understanding of students with handicapping conditions by:
– attending in-service training
– attending conferences
8. Participate actively as opportunity presents itself in:
– planning of classroom activities and units
– problem solving relative to routines, rhythms and/or individual student needs
– meetings relative to building needs, classroom needs and/or individual student needs
9. Supervision on job sites
10. Upholding building and district policies and procedures.
11. Keep confidential matters private.
12. Be respectful and courteous at all times.
13. Work independently performing tasks as needs and situations arise.
Occasional (1-32%): Standing, walking, bending, stooping, reaching, pushing, climbing, driving, lifting
Frequent (33-66%): Sitting
A. Inside X Outside Both
B. Climatic Environment: Some assignments will be in non-air-conditioned settings
To apply for this job please visit columbuspsne.apptegy.us.