Job Description Summary
Responsible for the development and implementation of new technologies, capacity expansions and new products or new materials to meet strategic business initiatives. Ensure compliance with BD quality systems, policies, procedures and practices and all local, state, federal and BD safety regulations, policies and procedures. Regular, punctual attendance is an essential job function. Ability to read, write and converse in English.
- Product/Process Development – Works closely with R&D design team and manufacturing sites on new product and process development projects relating to: Design for Manufacture, scale automation, capacity, operational planning and new product launch support. Provides leadership and manufacturing support for innovation projects and related process related post-launch improvements. Responsibilities include but not limited to proposed technical approach, cost of good estimation, estimated resource need and project schedule
- Process & Product Data – Maintains a solid understanding of new methods, equipment, product specifications, waste, costs, through put rate, and material costs. This technical data is to be used in the justifications of new equipment, cost reduction projects and to achieve competitive cost of goods targets.
- Documentation – Prepares process descriptions and manufacturing specifications as required. Thoroughly documents all equipment, machines, and tooling with accurate and clear detailed prints and maintenance instructions. Prepares or directs the preparation of, or approves all engineering product and process specifications or changes to it. Is proficient in the ECO process and ensures regulatory compliance.
- Manufacturing Support – Provides technical guidance as needed to manufacturing and hourly technical personnel during the start-up of new or changed products and processes. Uses good decision-making, problem solving and trouble-shooting techniques to minimize the potential or correct ongoing manufacturing issues.
- Equipment – Prepares a plan for procurement of capital equipment including obtaining of quotes, vendor investigation, budgeting, and scheduling. Prepares specifications, place orders, coordinate procurement, install equipment, debug and coordinate the start-up of a new or modified equipment from outside firms or as modified internally. Redesigns or supervises the redesign of existing equipment to incorporate improvements relating to safety, machine reliability, product quality, and/or cost reduction.
- Design – Coordinate design activity with outside vendors or internal departments as necessary. If resources are unavailable, performs own design and drafting as the need arises to implement improvements. Capable of developing and implementing complex designs and approving drawings in the area of expertise.
- Cost Reduction – Provide concepts and supporting data for cost reduction proposals to meet the plant’s productivity objectives. Initiates cost improvement projects, manages their budget and is able to write large CB-2s.
- Travel – Travel will be required to effectively perform job functions and support work at various manufacturing sites. At periods of peak project demand, travel needs could exceed 40% but will normally be in the range of 10%. Schedule will be considered flexible to accommodate a work/life balance and other personal needs.
- Coordinate and control all cost, delivery and quality objectives for the design, construction and validation of assigned engineering projects to meet targeted (COGs).
- Establish a robust process window for all key manufacturing processes using scientific techniques along with Design for Experiments (DOE’s).
- Ensure process capacity is sized properly from guidance on demand and growth projections.
Education: B.S. degree in Business, Plastic, Mechanical, or related Engineering field is required.
Required: 1-3 years relevant experience, in the fields of process and project engineering supporting new product development and delivering new manufacturing processes within the medical device industry. Manufacturing/plant experience with a process and equipment related background necessary.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bd.com.