Mold Tooling Engineer
Job Description Summary
New BD injection molding facility starting up in Columbus, NE to manufacture medical devices. BD has a number of injection molding sites located worldwide. This site, the North America Molding center houses the injection molding hub in North America for one of the largest injection molding companies in the world. Factory of the future technologies employed at the NAMc will include all electric injection molding presses, automatic resin handling systems, in-mold sensor technology, robotic part removal, automated component handling and inspection. This is an opportunity for highly motivated, forward thinking, self-starters to join this world class organization.
The Mold Tooling Engineer will facilitate the fabrication, rebuilding, and improvements of injection molding tools for plastic injection molding. This position will include vendor selection, conceptual design of tooling, selection of hot runner system, project management of tooling fabrication, implementation of tooling into the manufacturing processes and continuous improvement of current tooling through the latest mold tooling technologies. Ensures compliance with BD quality systems, policies, procedures and best practices and all local, state, federal and BD safety regulations, policies and procedures. Regular, punctual attendance is an essential job function. Ability to read, write and converse in English.
Be part of something bigger!
BD is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most ambitious global health issues.
- Work with mold build vendors in the design of injection molding tools, to include pilot through high cavitation production, for plastic injection molding of high precision, tight tolerance plastic parts and design fixtures and jigs.
- Coordinate tooling projects from conception through production start-up.
- Work with tooling suppliers on request for quotation, schedules, mold design reviews, hot runner system selection, mold factory acceptance test (FAT) and project implementation.
- Review product designs and make recommendations on tooling projects to confirm they are designed for manufacturability, efficiency, and cost-savings.
- Participate in tool design reviews and ensure they are conducted in accordance with the BD guidelines and adhere to the BD mold design and build standards.
- Evaluate part design for manufacturability using Mold Flow Analysis to evaluate mold filling, mold cooling and warpage analysis, and in molded stress analysis. Work with mechanical engineering to optimize part design.
- Oversee all record retention for tooling. This will include required follow-up on action items resulting from preliminary mold designs through production startups. This encompasses both internally designed and built tooling along with all sub-contracted work.
- Supervise construction of injection molds.
- Source tooling suppliers and interact with them on regular basis to ensure that services meet expectations.
- Monitor project schedules with tooling suppliers and ensure that projects are completed on time and according to design requirements
- Implement tooling modifications and improvements.
- Work with reverse engineering principles and rapid prototype resources as needed.
- Utilize basic understanding of dimensioning, tolerance and inspection practices.
- Other duties assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
Minimum Education and Experience:
Required: Associate’s Degree in Business, Engineering, Plastics or related subject area with 3-5 yrs. experience.
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Plastics Engineering or related Engineering field with 2 yrs. experience.
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status. #LI-ISC
Primary Work Location
USA NE – Columbus (East)
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bd.com.