Director of Genetic Programs
Pillen Family Farms
DNA Genetics is a producer-owned swine genetics company that truly understands pork production. Our team members are relentlessly committed to the continuous improvement of our genetic lines for the benefit of our customers. DNA Genetics’ mission is to provide superior value through high-quality and low-cost genetics designed to meet customers’ needs better than all alternatives.
This position will lead and coordinate the activities of a team focused on the development and implementation of existing and novel genetic technologies within a swine nucleus breeding program. An ideal candidate will need to be well-versed in leading-edge technology and statistical methodology as it applies to animal breeding programs and have the ability and passion to continuously develop, lead and maintain a culture of collaboration that values and recognizes the strengths of every team member. We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about pigs, people, and the application of technology in a pig breeding system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervisory responsibility for DNA’s Genetic Development and Support teams
- Create and maintain a team culture that values collaboration, creativity, lifelong learning and encourages the contribution of all team members while identifying and leveraging the strengths of team members to accomplish critical goals and objectives
- Work closely with ownership and company leadership to understand the strategic vision for the breeding program and support bringing that vision to reality by soliciting team input and organizing the team around the prioritized goals and objectives of the strategic plan
- Serve as the direct liaison for the Genetic Team to Nucleus and Full Program Test (FPT, commercial crossbred testing) Production facilities and their associated leadership teams with the goals of effectively communicating the needs of the genetic program, monitoring and providing information to assist the production teams to be successful in optimizing genetic gain and supporting project and data needs for the nucleus and FPT systems. This includes consistent engagement with our teams at our nucleus farms.
- Monitor and ensure the Genetic Program has the resources required for successful implementation through cross-team leadership with team members in the information technologies group, application development team, external suppliers and other company and external resources, as required
- Remain up-to-date on newly developed technologies that could enhance the company’s ability to drive genetic progress
- Engage with external collaborators, customers and DNA’S Genetic Advisory Committee to drive value for the genetic program
- In addition to coordinating the Genetic Team, participate individually in project management, analyses, reporting and further developing your personal skill set in the science
- PhD in animal breeding and genetics, statistics, or related analytical field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A passion for people and the desire to develop M.S. and Ph.D. trained team members, viewing their success as your own
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the scientific field and specifically in the management of an applied breeding program in livestock
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a team development/supervisory role for a technical team with demonstrated success
- Specific skill sets should include:
- Statistical analyses of animal breeding data including model development for complex traits, parameter estimation and application of genomic selection
- Understanding of trait development and experimental design
- Ability to work with large datasets in a Unix environment
- Familiarity with the economics that drive profitability in pork production and the ability to use that knowledge to develop selection objectives
- Incorporation of crossbred phenotypes and genotypes into a selection program
- Effective summarization and ability to communicate complex topics effectively to key stakeholders
- Proficiency in statistical analysis software (e.g. R, SAS) and mixed model software (e.g. ASReml and BLUPF90)
- Experience with SQL database and/or other programming language preferred
To apply for this job please visit pillendnacareers.workbrightats.com.