Damage Prevention Coordinator
Black Hills Energy
Location: Columbus, NE, United States
Job ID: 33037
You should apply online directly with Black Hills Energy. https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/
This important role is responsible for educational outreach efforts required for the prevention of damages to Black Hills Energy facilities. Proactively informs and interacts with internal and external customers to increase facility awareness, promote safe digging practices and increase knowledge of damage prevention techniques. Perform damage investigations to determine root cause, fault, and liability. Provides facility protection and locating support to BHE locate business partner and internal and external excavating customers. Obtains, organizes, and provides timely and actionable damage prevention information from various corporate systems in support of damage prevention risk avoidance program.
SALARY RANGE: $68,450 – $102,750 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Damage Prevention & Compliance
LOCATION: Council Bluffs, IA; Columbus, NE; Norfolk, NE
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains, upgrades, and provides damage prevention and facility awareness presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Communicate with BHE locate business partner on a daily basis to direct resources to areas with highest risk of third party excavation damage.
- Provides support, investigates, responds and resolves internal and external customer locating problems related to hard to locate facilities.
- Provides onsite support and investigation of facility damages; collects and maintains all data related to facility damages and verifies data for accuracy; participates in the decision making process to bill for damages; provides support to internal and external customers to resolve damage claims.
- Performs quality field audits of locate accuracy.
- Ensures timely and accurate reports are created and delivered to users for decision-making processes to improve corporate performance, compliance, and reduce damages to Black Hills Energy’s facilities.
- Five (5) or more years of relevant experience required (damage prevention, construction, natural gas operations, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree or 5 years equivalent experience in Business, Operations, or Construction required.
- Must possess a working knowledge of damage prevention programs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of network operations procedures.
- Thorough understanding of D.O.T. Part 192.
- General knowledge of mapping and system design.
- Solid understanding of safe excavation practices.
- Must demonstrate a strong application of safety rules and requirements to promote a safe work environment.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of understanding of facility locating fundamentals and related operation of locating instruments.
- Must be familiar with the Nebraska One Notification Act, and underground construction practices.
- Demonstrate an understanding to read and interpret facility maps and drawings.
- Public speaking and presentation skills.
- Prepare written communications in a professional manner to a variety of internal & external audiences.
- Analytical and decision making skills.
- Proven ability to use computer software and applications.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: stand, walk, balance, bend or stoop, crawl, work at elevated heights, maintain eye and hand coordination, maintain finger and hand dexterity, hear, rotate and extend neck, maintain body posture, reach, talk, and have visual acuity to operate machines and equipment. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: access low and high areas with additional equipment, ascend/descend stairs, maintain hand and foot coordination, move hands in repetitive motion, kneel, reach above the shoulder, and sit. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to: use a respirator, and sit. Employee must be able to operate job related equipment and tools. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 8-10 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously required to stand and walk. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Must be able to occasionally perform work indoors and routinely perform work outdoors in sometimes inclement weather with moderate to high noise level. Worker may be subject to hazards including variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height, or close quarters (i.e., crawl spaces, small enclosed rooms, narrow aisles of passageways). Must be capable of up to 25% travel (e.g. 1 week or 5 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About Black Hills Energy: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy a Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.
To apply for this job please visit careers.blackhillsenergy.com.