Website BD West
Job Description Summary
As our Controls Specialist you’ll ensure that Manufacturing teams have the correct software and hardware installed in the equipment necessary to transform raw materials into finished product. You’ll specify, design, build/purchase, and install new production equipment required to meet increased production needs. You’ll provide technical support to maintain, repair and/or replace equipment, as well as, modify existing production equipment to improve both reliability and functionality. A requirement for this position is a demonstrated ability to create and modify electrical control systems for industrial equipment. This includes panel layouts, schematic drawings, PLC, HMI, vision and robotic software creation. In addition, you will help support and drive engineering activities for new products. You’ll support prototype development runs and drive commercialization of new processes while utilizing Lean Manufacturing methods to minimize waste and maximize efficiencies.
Project Planning and Execution – With guidance from the Controls Designer, prepares and implements project or improvement plans for areas of responsibility including but not limited to: efficiency improvements, cost reduction or quality improvement programs, new product support and other process improvements. The plan or proposal is to include the proposed technical approach, estimated implementation costs, estimated resource needs, and a time schedule, (Gantt chart). Acts as the driving force for the controls project help coordinating resources and activities necessary to ensure on time execution to the project or process improvement plan, identify and work through barriers that hinder progress.
Technical Writing / Documentation – Must possess excellent technical writing ability. Required to prepare manufacturing specifications related to controls, thoroughly documents all equipment, machines, with accurate and clear detailed prints and maintenance instructions related to controls.
Validation – With the assistance of the QE, Controls Designer and validation team will support in creating all necessary documentation associated with the BD change control process and coordinates validation or verification activities to ensure on time execution according to the project or process improvement plan.
Manufacturing Support – Provides technical guidance as needed to manufacturing and hourly technical personnel during the startup of new or changed products and processes. Use of good decision making, problem solving and trouble-shooting techniques will be needed to minimize the potential or correct ongoing manufacturing issues.
Capital Request / Capital Management – Will need to support in preparing a plan for procurement of capital equipment including obtaining of quotes, vendor investigation, budgeting, and scheduling. Prepares controls specifications, place orders, coordinate procurement, install equipment, debug and coordinate the startup of new or modified equipment from outside firms or as modified internally, manages capital spending on assigned projects to ensure spending in accordance with the plan capital budget.
Design – Coordinate design activities with Controls Designers, outside vendors or internal departments as necessary. If resources are unavailable, perform own design and drafting as required. Redesigns or oversees the redesign of existing equipment to incorporate improvements relating to safety, machine reliability, product quality, and / or cost reduction.
We are the makers of possible
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world. Advancing the world of health™ is our Purpose, and it’s no small feat. It takes the imagination and passion of all of us—from design and engineering to the manufacturing and marketing of our billions of MedTech products per year—to look at the impossible and find transformative solutions that turn dreams into possibilities.
We believe that the human element, across our global teams, is what allows us to continually evolve. Join us and discover an environment in which you’ll be supported to learn, grow and become your best self. Become a maker of possible with us.
Job Grade: JG1
PCP Level: 4
Shift: 1st Shift
- Must be able to implement and trouble shoot servo motion control.
- Must become proficient in writing large complex PLC programs and versed in programming various operator interfaces.
- Experience in troubleshooting industrial machinery, which requires strong knowledge in both electrical and mechanical systems.
- Possess a detailed and methodical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to work with associates of all levels including managers, engineers, machine operators, quality technicians, line supervisors, and maintenance technicians.
- Proven project management skills.
- Must have the ability to speak, read and write English.
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Must be able to use AutoCAD Electrical and draw electrical schematics
- Must have the ability to drive large manufacturing or capital projects with little to no supervision, ensure timelines are met and within budget.
- Ensure compliance with BD quality systems, policies, procedures and practices and all local, state, federal and BD safety regulations, policies and procedures.
- Associate Degree Required in Electrical/Mechanical or Related
10 additional years directly related work experience may be considered in lieu of the degree.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities (KSA’s):
- Preferred 5 years’ of experience in Controls within a high-volume manufacturing production environment.
- Experience in designing electrical systems for industrial equipment strongly preferred.
- Experience in programming PLCs, HMIs, vision and robots preferred.
- Experience with Allen Bradley and Siemens control systems a plus.
- Experience with and working knowledge of RS Logix 5000 and SLC 500 preferred.
- Experience with and working knowledge of RS Networks preferred.
For certain roles at BD, employment is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In some locations, testing for COVID-19 may be available and/or required. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
At BD, we strive to make healthcare a priority for our associates and their families. We have a variety of plans including a new HSA Basic plan option with Cigna.
- $0 payroll contributions if your salary is below $50,000
- Plan covers 100% preventative care (annual wellness exam, and immunizations)
- Visit any provider
If you meet the eligibility and enrollment requirements, your coverage begins on your date of hire or the date you become a benefits-eligible associate.
BD provides comprehensive total rewards benefits for all of its employees. Most benefits start on day 1 of your employment with BD.
- Competitive pay
- Up to 6 weeks of paid parental leave
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Education assistance ($5250.00 per year)
- Adoption assistance
- 401K plan with $.75 of every dollar matched up to 6% of compensation
- Basic life and AD&D provided
- Discounted home, auto, and pet insurance plans
- Paid holidays and vacation (pro-rated the first year based on actual start date)
Excited to grow your career?
We value our talented employees, and whenever possible strive to help one of our associates grow professionally before recruiting new talent to our open positions. If you think the open position you see is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
Our people make all the difference in our success.
Why Join Us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that encourages you to bring your authentic self to work. It’s also a place where we help each other be great, we do what’s right, we hold each other accountable, and learn and improve every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. You will have the opportunity to help shape the trajectory of BD while leaving a legacy at the same time. And through the organization’s investment in BD University, you will continually level up your tech skills and expertise.
To find purpose in the possibilities, we need people who can see the bigger picture, who understand the human story that underpins everything we do. We welcome people with the imagination and drive to help us reinvent the future of health. At BD, you’ll discover a culture in which you can learn, grow and thrive. And find satisfaction in doing your part to make the world a better place.
To learn more about BD visit https://bd.com/careers
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work Location
USA NE – Columbus (West)
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bd.com.