8th Grade Social Studies Teacher
Website Columbus Public Schools
A. Valid Certification
B. A bachelor’s degree with a major in history or one of the social sciences.
C. 7-12 or Middle School endorsed
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB GOAL: 8th Grade Social Studies: To develop in each student an appreciation of American ideas and cultural heritage; to develop proficiency in the use of social studies inquiry skills and concepts; to motivate each student to understand and exercise his/her rights, privileges, and responsibilities as a citizen; to encourage students to develop sound opinions based on the study of facts.
1. Teaches units of study in history, government, geography and economics, utilizing courses of study adopted by the Board of Education and as directed by the building principal.
2. Diversifies instruction and lesson plans in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with varying intellectual abilities, attitudes and cultural backgrounds.
3. Ensures units of study are relevant to daily life.
4. Encourages students to become aware of the complexity and relationships between local, state, national and world problems.
5. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
6. Evaluates students’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records and prepares progress reports.
7. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss students’ progress.
8. Identifies student needs and works with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems.
9. Maintains professional competence through in-services, educational activities and professional growth activities.
10. Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrators to develop the method by which the teacher will be evaluated in performance with district policy.
11. Supervises students as assigned.
12. Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
13. Modifies and adjusts the curriculum to meet the needs of special education in the classroom.
14. Collaborates with academic teams.
20. Willingly contributes to the PLC process.
21. Demonstrates an interest in student activities both inside and outside the classroom setting.
To apply for this job please visit www.columbuspublicschools.org.